ST. MICHAEL'S CHURCH, GELDESTON
(Notes for a Tour of Geldeston Church)
The Church goes back to about 1150 with the round tower and Nave.
The Tower was restored in 1814 and the last 12 feet were rebuilt.
In 1864 the Chancel was rebuilt and extended by 3 feet. The north aisle were built to form a north Transept. It has an elaborate double arch. Next to it is the Vestry.
There is a south Porch of 1400s. Notice the spandrels round the outer gates; one is the Trinity and the other shows the Passion. There is a niche above the gates Next to the main door is a holy water stoup.
There is a list of Rectors. The first known one is Richard Abel from 1307.
Inside the Church
There is one Bell, from earlier than 1553. There were 2 other bells, sold in 1814 for repairs to the Tower.
The Font, for Baptisms is by the door and has an 8 sided bowl made in 1400s. The Shaft has 4 lions. It has a nice spire-type cover and has a useful counterbalance.
The Windows in the Nave are Perpendicular style. Those in the Chancel were built in 1864.
The Pulpit was built in 1886. The Lectern, for holding the Bible, is a similar period.
There was a Rood Screen in the Chancel arch; the top of the rood stairway remains and can be seen behind the pulpit. The Rood is the Crucifix.
The Chancel is obviously of Victorian, with both the windows and the Chancel arch.
The East Window was restored with a new stained glass. It was made in 1957.
The Organ was built in 1898 and has 2 manuals and a pedal board.
There is a Choir and its vestry is at the north end of the Transept
Outside the Church
The Church and Churchyard are in a Conservation area. An Extension adjacent to the old one was opened a few years ago.
The old Churchyard is maintained by a scheme to enhance both flora and animals.
Finally, the name Geldeston (Geldestun in 1242) means Gyldi's tun or homestead or enclosure round a house.
Priest-in-Charge of Geldeston June 2005